Here’s some background;
I have a VPS that was giving a “Killed” message before any Yum command could finish
Some sample output is below
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile * base: mirror.atlanticmetro.net * epel: mirrors.mit.edu * extras: mirror.atlanticmetro.net * updates: mirror.atlanticmetro.net debug | 2.5 kB 00:00 debug/primary_db | 1.2 MB 00:00 Setting up Update Process Killed
Things I tried;
Disabling the vz-repo, since I was unfamiliar with it and unfamiliar things scare me. Then I tried disabling all repos except the base repo, but still got the issue.
Many forums recommend using the following commands, and discussion always ended there….probably because it always worked.
rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db* rpm –-rebuilddb yum clean all
These are to fix your broken RPM databases, which is supposedly how this problem always gets fixed….except for me.
What actually worked (tl;dr);
Restarting the server. No joke. Turned if off and back on again, and suddenly everything is fine. I was able to run “yum update”, “yum install phpmyadmin”, etc.
I am disappointed that restarting a Linux server is the magic bullet used to solve problems, but also happy that this wasn’t a production server.